Creating the Teaching Conditions that Educators Deserve
Do you know what your teachers think about the conditions they work in every day? Do they have adequate time, leadership opportunities, and support from school leaders? Challenging teaching conditions are often a contributing factor to teacher attrition rates in your districts and schools. We offer a suite of resources and services to help states and districts to better understand:
- the latest evidence and research linking teacher satisfaction, retention, and teaching conditions;
- how to administer and collect teaching conditions data, whether through AIR's Teaching Conditions Survey, or other valid and reliable instruments;
- how to use teaching conditions data to address teacher attrition and teacher shortage patterns, and;
- the competencies that school leaders need to improve teacher satisfaction and improve the culture of all schools, particularly in schools that are low-performing or hard-to-staff.
AIR's Teaching Conditions Survey
AIR's Teaching Conditions Survey is a valid, reliable survey centered around nine crucial teaching conditions factors:
- Facilities and Resources
- Community Support and Involvement
- Managing Student Conduct
- Teacher Leadership
- School Leadership
- Professional Development
- Instructional Practices and Support
- New Teacher Support
Our team has two decades of experience using the survey to assess and improve teaching conditions in wide-range of schools and districts. AIR’s Teaching Conditions Survey provides states, districts, and schools with dashboards and reports that visualize important feedback from teachers and noninstructional staff that policy-makers can use to improve teaching conditions and school culture and climate. The GTL Center team offers state-of-the-art survey and professional learning services to help clients identify the most salient findings and take action based on a collaborative review of the data.
The GTL Center, Midwest Comprehensive Center, and Chicago Public Schools (CPS) partnered with nine schools to improve teaching conditions, teacher voice, and support for mentors of new teachers. AIR staff helped both CPS and school teams collect and analyze their teaching conditions data and identify actionable next steps.
GTL Center Services for Teaching Conditions
Interested in improving teaching conditions in your schools as an integrated talent management strategy for recruiting and retaining effective teachers? Our tools and services were designed with you in mind. We can assist with consultations, modification and customization of GTL tools to meet your unique context, administering online teaching conditions surveys, as well as more in-depth, sustained supports based on need. We offer three service levels, which can be customized and tailored to your unique needs and starting point: